Saturday, December 17, 2011

I Made...A Mobile!

 I really did! But it's not the one I have in my head. This one was more of a practice piece, to test out the general layout. I started with:

  • Compass
  • Glue
  • Bamboo skewers
  • Fishing Line
  • Construction paper



Need this. 
2 of these.
Fishing Line.
Rainbow construction paper.
Glue.
First, I gathered my supplies.
I took two of the bamboo skewers, and snipped off the pointy bits.  

Then I took a length of fishing line, and made an X with the skewers. After tying it off, I put a dab of glue on the end To ensure the fishing line remained knotted. 


With my base finished, I stacked the paper, and traced several different sized circles using my compass. 



I also made sure to have a large circle that I could use for my centerpiece, and just cut out a smaller circle from the inside.  Then I folded it in half. 
And ran glue along one side of my now half circle.  





I bent a yellow one in half, the same way, and fit it against the glue.




I then folded the yellow over, ran glue along it, and fit the blue against it. And glued the other half of the blue to the red. 







I also cut out some hearts, and
repeated the process using purple, green, and orange.

After some drying time, I tied some fishing line to the top of the heart in the center, and dabbed some glue on the knot.

Then I tied it to the bottom of the top 
part of the ring, with another dab of glue
 to keep that knot, too, and then ran some 
fishing line from the very top part of the 
outer ring to the center of the skewer X 
(with another dab of glue to hold it) 
and voila! 
My center part was done.


What isn't pictured is that I took additional lengths of fishing line, and tied them to opposite ends of one of the cross beams of the X. Going back to my circles, I made sure that one set of circles descended in size from red (big) to purple (small) and then from Purple (big) to Red (small.)

I took a pushpin and poked two holes in a row into the center of each circle, and threaded them through the lines. Afterward, I dabbed a tiny bit of glue on each side of the hole to prevent the circles from sliding, and then hung it over the bassinet.

Vera went bananas. She laughed and screeched and squealed and finally lay there, smiling, as she watched me turn it.

It's not perfect, and I know what I can do next time to improve it. But for now, she adores it, and really, that is all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment