Friday, December 9, 2011

I made...Dinner!

Okay, this one is actually mine. I've been making variations of this for years, because I can never seem to do the same thing the same way every time. So here was dinner tonight, my Everchanging Broccocheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts. 


Yes. Yes, they totally tasted like awesome.



 And I baked extra broccoli, drizzled with butter and lightly kissed by salt.




First, I preheated my oven to 350, but I decided not to take a picture of that. Go ahead, you can thank me. 




So, While the oven preheated, I reached for my trusty rolling pin, arguably one of the best inventions EVER, and cringed at the thought of all those bacterians crawling all over it once I introduced it to my chicken. So, i rinsed out a plastic shopping bag, turned it inside out, and stuck my roller in, poking the handles out through the sides of the bag, and tied it closed. 








Ah, chicken. I love chicken, and I could eat it every day. This is the split boneless skinless breast I get insanely cheap at our local Bi-Lo. Most of the time, whenever we have chicken, I marinate the hell out of it in crazy weird concoctions like lemon juice, pepsi, and cayenne pepper. I didn't marinate this time. 



And this is what it looks like after culinary therapy....
Shredded cheddar, tons of fresh broccoli. Love. 
I flipped it over so the rough and ugly side of the breast
is exposed, and layered on some cheese and broccoli.
I broke up the florets. 

Then I rolled it up, seam side down, so it's all pretty like this . 

Feel free to use bisquick, or whatever. I'm out of breadcrumbs but I like
applying a thin coating of Miracle Whip (or mayo, if you're one of those people)
 and rolling in crushed ritz crackers and breadcrumbs. But since
 I was also out of Ritz, I just used these. A quick spritz with the spray,
a light dusting with the mix.  


I also had a pic here of what it looked like in the over, but upon closer inspection, the picture kind of revealed my ugly oven interior, and I was all hinky about adding it. So, it didn't make the cut. 

Now, after the light dusting with the baking mix, I popped the tray in the oven for fifteen minutes. After the 15, I took it out, loaded the empty spaces with broccoli florets, and drizzled them with a little butter, and tossed it all back in for 10 minutes. The chicken was done when I tested the thickest portion of the thickest piece, and the broccoli was so super crispy yet not too hard. And with a very light sprinkling of salt, it was pretty much a plate of hot damn. 

And even the baby let me eat most of my piece!

I hope you try this. And I hope that, if you do try, you're not one of those people who freak out because there were no actual measurements used here.

I just don't do measuring cups if I can help it. 

Good luck and enjoy!


1 comment: